Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My 9th First Day

     The inevitable happened and UA started back up today. I've never felt so old in my life. Watching all the freshmen walk around lost is normally entertaining, but it was just plain annoying. Not to mention it was as hot as Mark Sloane out there today!! I thought I was going to pass out walking to class. It was awful. My actual classes weren't bad, but the getting there sucked. 

     The best part of my day by far was the five hour lunch break I got between work and my classes. Looking back, I should have taken a nap. Instead, I made a salad and continued with my newest obsession: Mad Men. I'm purposefully late to the world of 1960s advertising. Being passionately involved with so many shows already, I have to stay away from some that I would normally watch. It has never worked. I have such weak defenses! I held off 30 Rock, Gossip Girl and How I Met Your Mother for a little while but they all broke through eventually. I stopped trying, made a detailed TV calendar in excel (I warned you in my first post), and started paying extra for a DVR.

     The same happened with Mad Men. I found out they were instant on Netflix and the rest is history. For those Mad Men fans, I'm only in Season 2 so I'm still way behind, but I'm already in love. I love Don Draper and Roger Sterling. Love them. But I hate them? As a modern woman and one who is well versed in gender studies I should hate them. I can't lie, though. Their smoking, drinking, and infidelity makes me melt. I'm sorry feminists, I had to say it. The women on the show are so well written! I was worried at first about that. Others may disagree, but Betty Draper's semi-crazy nature is endearing, and I can't help but feel sorry for her (until I remember she wakes up next to Don). Joan Holloway is awesome and I can't help but want her confidence. Peggy Olsen is the answer for feminists! I was SHOCKED watching the season 1 finale. SHOCKED. I should have guessed it! I usually do! I love to hate Pete Campbell and it makes me smile every time I see him knowing Peggy could put him in his place at any moment. (If she does don't spoil it for me yet!)
 Hotties in suits? Why did I put this off??  

I want to be them! (Except Peggy, Pete's not for me)

     Bottom line: You guys gotta watch this show. It's completely worth all the time I'm spending catching up on it. Anyone interested in history, drama, or television in general: Stop what you're doing and start season 1. Soon. 

     I'm pissed I have to wait until midseason. Thanks AMC for that one. 

     Time for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (Isaiah voice) from New Zealand (Thanks Publix!!), another episode of Mad Men, and bedtime. This grandma's exhausted. More class and work tomorrow! I hope you all had a great day! 

No comments: