Monday, July 16, 2012

1100 miles later...

Dad, Kathy, and I went to Wilmington this weekend to check out apartments for the new life I'm beginning this far. We drove halfway on Thursday night (to Columbia) and spent the night then went the rest of the way Friday. Then, we spent the weekend searching high and low for any and all apartments that would fit my budget (free) and standards (not a rape closet). We went to 18 places total, give or take, and finally settled on one I'm still not happy with. It's 0.4 miles from the front door of my class building, but I was hoping to be farther away from campus. I'm not 18 anymore, but looks like I'll be chilling with the undergrads. I managed to locate the Moe's and Target, which is very important.  


One complex tried to create the look of bubbles with packing peanuts. 

Found Idiot Headquarters 

When I found this one online I thought it might be a winner, but it turned out to be the scariest one. Go figure.

This is my actual apartment. I was really tired so I took the worst pics ever. 









  

The beach is 5 miles away!! 















Friday night we went out on the town to downtown Wilmington. We had no idea where we were going so I just picked a random place to eat that had broken air conditioning. Kathy and I picked two of their "famous" martinis and she got a little drunk. By a little, I mean she didn't know what mashed potatoes were when the waitress put them on the table. Dad thought it was best to go home after that. When we got to the hotel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was on HBO!! My parents have never seen any HP movie and know nothing about it, but my trip, my tv. It was at the very end when Harry realizes he has to go meet Voldemort. So imagine trying to explain what is going on to people who don't know any of the storyline. At least I didn't sob this time. We're making progress. 

We found this Rolling Stones tribute band in downtown Wilmington on Friday. 


 The Raindrop and Blueberry Heaven 


Saturday was a nightmare. We toured a lot of apartments and I hated all of them. I knew I had to pick one soon, so I just pretended to be happy and filled out the application. I also got in trouble for being rude to all the people that go to UNCW. I'm sorry, I can't be dealing with people telling me I need a bike for a campus that would fit inside of UA's quad. You people need to get it together. I went to Alabama. Maybe that's pretentious, but I don't care. Don't tell me about college, either, because I'm a professional student. That night we drove back to Columbia to stay for the night. I begged the parents to stop at some sort of bar, and BWW was actually having a special on Bud Light. I didn't even order food because all I wanted to do was pass out. Finally, the 23 year old was the drunk one. 

We went shopping on Sunday on the way home and found an 80% off sale at New York and Company. Score! Jillian has been doing her job and I'm back into the size I should be in instead of the size I am after stress-eating. I celebrated by eating a cookie.  

We got home at like 4:30 and I was only able to keep my eyes open until 9:30. It's a hard knock life.

I still haven't unpacked and I had a Spanish test today. I'm still exhausted, so naturally I decided to make a drink and float in the pool for like 45 minutes. I think I've learned too much from Don Draper. While I was out there I watched a fat squirrel steal a tomato and a freaking bird used the bathroom and took a bath in the pool. While I was in it. I also heard a strange noise in the garage so I went inside before I could be held liable for anything that was happening out there.

LM made it to Nola!! (RIP Lil Homie, who did not)

No comments: