Friday, January 25, 2013

Following The Following

I would follow Kevin Williamson to the ends of the Earth at this point, so it's really no surprise that I'm watching The Following. For those who haven't seen it, it's about a Poe-obsessed serial killer finally put in jail by Kevin Bacon, only to escape years later. While in jail, this serial killer gained a cult-like following. This is the most intriguing part of the plot, in my opinion, because ANYONE could be one of his followers. You have no idea who you can trust. The premise is great, in my opinion, but I feel like network television can do all sorts of damage to a brilliant idea. 

The pilot was SO gruesome. I loved it. I hate watching shows about supposed killers that shoot their victims once in the head and are done with it. It's not realistic. Psychopaths have the reputation they have for a reason. I'm so glad Fox got over the fear and just put it all out there. (I'm trying not to spoil it, in case you haven't seen it.)

One thing I hated and I'm hoping won't continue, was the dumbing down of the plot. I'm hoping they were just trying to draw in a big audience for the pilot, because I cannot sit through a Blue's Clues explanation of a serial killer. For instance, there were around four different ways to figure out where the serial killer was hiding once he escaped, yet they still felt the need to practically pause the show and tell the audience directly. I understand the types of people watching network television and that maybe this is necessary, but it makes me miss Homeland. This premise is so great and can go so many places, but please for the love of Kevin Williamson, do not let the stupid people ruin this! I'm not asking everyone to be well-versed in Poe, but when they've directly said the killer is obsessed with Poe then "Nevermore" is painted on a wall in blood (ridic), I do not need one of the detectives to take more than two seconds to realize what it means and then say it out loud. You should just know that. For someone obsessed with Poe, it's almost unrealistic that the most commonly quoted Poe word winds up on the wall. I know this was the pilot and I'm trying my hardest to cut it some slack. 

Side note: I have been waiting for this show since last summer and I knew who was going to be in it, but when I saw Maggie Grace's name on the bottom of the screen I can't even tell you the expletives that came out. This girl CANNOT stay out of trouble. If you see she's going to be in a movie, trust she's going to be in some sort of danger. If I ever see her on the street, I'm high-tailing it in the other direction. 

No comments: