Friday, January 25, 2013

The Art of Being Spoiled

This is sort of a ranting post, but it has to be said. 

I'm always annoyed when I get on Twitter to find an upset tweeter who has had a television show or book or sporting event or the like spoiled by another tweeter.

For those of you who don't know, I watch a really insane amount of television. Yet, I hardly ever get spoiled. This becomes most difficult on Thursday nights when I have like 7 shows that all come on within the three hours of primetime. So inevitably, some people that I know are going to watch the shows before I do and know what happens. I didn't realize this was such an incredible feat until I came to know yelling tweets like "STOP SPOILING *SPECIFIC SHOW*!!!" 

Let me introduce you to a little thing my family calls, "Media Blackout." It originated in the world of golf, because we would always have to go to church on Sunday night at the same time the tournaments would be ending. So, we don't get on any social networking and even turn our phones off completely if we think there's a reason we're going to get spoiled. In cases like these, not even the news is safe. No television, no social interaction, no nothing. We have never been spoiled.

I truly love all 7 shows I watch on Thursday nights, but I don't have the time to sit and watch all of that at once. The solution is to stay off social networking. I've actually become a pro at skimming Twitter if I absolutely have to check it, and I skip over anything on my timeline that might be a spoiler. Maybe that takes talent, I'm not sure. In my opinion, if you truly love a show and want to watch it organically, you'll sit down and watch the show when it comes on. However, even I have things that have to come before television, so I understand the necessity of watching a show days later. But if you don't care enough to stay off social networking for that one hour, you don't care if you get spoiled. It's on you.

Also, if you don't like what someone is tweeting, unfollow them. I'm going to tweet about television. Rarely do I ever completely spell out the ending of a show, but if you don't want to be spoiled and absolutely must (for some reason) read my tweets, unfollow me please. For one thing, asking people not to talk about an episode after they've already done so is a waste of time. For another, it's their Twitter and they can tweet what they want to. 

Bottom line, please unfollow me if I have offended you. I will not be offended in the slightest. I was tweeting back when no one was on Twitter and will still be tweeting once my parents find out what it is and decide they want one. 

Rant over. 

No comments: