Tuesday, September 20, 2011

10 Day Challenge - Day 7


Choosing four books is practically impossible with how much I read. I tried to narrow it down to books that really affected me, so here goes:


1. The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Henry and Claire are such inspirational characters! When I read Claire, I'm just in awe of how patient she is and how she reacts to such a weird situation. Henry deals amazingly well considering he is constantly in danger. Either of them could falter, but they never do. Claire loves him from the moment she meets him, which I've never experienced so it's really crazy how easy I believe it. The writing flows like poetry, too. A far-fetched situation seems so real, and the tragedy is almost beautiful. This book made me want to be a writer.


2. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I read all four books in four days. It was insanity. I have never ever fallen in love with a book so fast. I was the biggest anti-Twilight person you could imagine up until the second I decided to try them. I hate scary things and I especially hate vampires. The whole thing just sounds ridiculous, and I wanted to slap the girl who fell in love with a killer. Then my mom read them and became obsessed and I was bored at home on Christmas break and the rest is history. Bella is awkward, sarcastic, pale, has brown eyes and brown hair, loves to read, and a million other things that remind me of myself, so this helped me in reading. Say what you will about the craze, but Stephenie Meyer knows how to write for her audience. I've never seen such amazing details. I've never been such a fanatic about any other book series. I'm still obsessed, years later. I know Edward's a fictional character, but that doesn't stop me from loving him. 

3. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling. I was 
against Harry Potter, too, in the beginning. As soon as the first book came out I got it for Christmas and couldn't get past like chapter four. I tried again when the second book came out, but no luck. I read them all in like 6 days before the last movie came out. I did have to push through the first two books though, but it turned out to be worth it! I had seen the movies and read different articles so I knew basically what was going to happen, but I cried like a psychotic baby during Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows and I NEVER CRY. Part of it had to do with being so wrapped up in everything Hogwarts and having practically no sleep for a week, but either way, it was great writing. Just thinking about it is getting me emotional, so I'm going to stop now. **

4. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book taught me a lot about myself and changed my perspective. She proved how hard it is to start over from scratch in your life and how scary it is to try new things and new places. She also showed that it was all worth it. Just because I have no idea where I'm going in life doesn't have to be a bad thing. It also made me eat a lot of pizza. 






I have read everything by Nicholas Sparks that I can get my hands on, so his works are all my honorable mentions. 





**Note to my future person: I will partake in Harry Potter marathons that will steal hours from my life. You should go ahead and practice liking it. Also, you must always let me watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 alone because it makes me cry hysterically. I need to make that clearer. I (the emotionally challenged, masculine communicator) will be sobbing loudly and grossly for the last thirty minutes of the movie and will still be sobbing during the credits. You're not invited. I've got a rep to protect. 

No comments: